Piketty on Empirical Research

For a general discussion of topics relating broadly to power and political economy (e.g., capital-as-power, Marxism, neo-classical economics, institutionalism).

Moderator: sanha926

Piketty on Empirical Research

Postby sanha926 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:42 am

I just finished reading Piketty's book and I'll soon post some of my thoughts on it. For now, I just wanted to share the last few sentences of the book. Whatever you think of Piketty's work, I think this passage is nicely written and will resonate with members of this forum:

"...it seems to me that all social scientists, all journalists and commentators, all activists in the unions and in politics of whatever stripe, and especially all citizens, should take a serious interest in money, its measurement, the facts surrounding it, and its history. Those who have a lot of it never fail to defend their interests. Refusing to deal with numbers rarely serves the interests of the least well-off" (p. 577).
sanha926

Re: Piketty on Empirical Research

Postby DT Cochrane » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Very good!

Although, unfortunately, it seems that despite the book's popularity, few will read those lines. According to a measurement known as The Hawking Index, Piketty's tome is the least read book of the summer.
DT Cochrane

Re: Piketty on Empirical Research

Postby DT Cochrane » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:21 pm

Very good!

Although, unfortunately, it seems that despite the book's popularity, few will read those lines. According to a measurement known as The Hawking Index, Piketty's tome is the least read book of the summer.
DT Cochrane

Return to Political Economy