What Is Your Philosophy?

For a general discussion of topics relating broadly to power and political economy (e.g., capital-as-power, Marxism, neo-classical economics, institutionalism).

Moderator: sanha926

What Is Your Philosophy?

Postby Ikonoclast » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:36 pm

I could have posted this in Community perhaps but I thought it directly related to Political Economy too. This is perhaps because my main interests are philosophy and political economy (plus virtual game modelling which also intersects with ontology and political economy when you think about it). I think one's philosophy definitely conditions one's political economics views. One's philosophy is also conditioned by nature, nurture, schooling and personal history including one's situation in a political economy.

I hadn't thought much about my philosophical position in detail until relatively recently. If asked I would have said I was a scientific humanist but this leaves out a lot of detail. Following continuous personal attempts to write and blog philosophy and political economy, when not torn away by the temptations of virtual game modelling, I began to develop my own position "organically" without being aware of what school(s) I was gravitating to.

When I went looking I found that I have gravitated towards Critical Theory. That is not surprising given a science bias and reading centered in Marxism, the English Empirical Philosophers and the American Pragmatists. Looking into it a little more, it seems I have become an adopter of Critical Realism as a position without reading such thinkers directly. A position involving ontological realism, epistemic relativism, judgemental rationality and cautious ethical naturalism (all with interrelated subtleties and caveats) would seem to sum up my current position, as per this short paper by a group of thinkers:

http://www.asatheory.org/current-newsle ... al-realism

I am interested in other persons' descriptions of their general philosophical position and the major thinkers who influenced them in developing their philosophical orientation. I believe these issues are important for political economy. Adopting a critiqued ontology as opposed to an ideological ontology is going to make a great difference I think in political economy orientation and analysis. Without a critiqued ontology we end up where we are today with mere economism as the dominant public discourse about our entire socio-economy and our position in the biosphere. But over to others. It is your philosophical underpinnings and schooling in the schools of thought that I am interested in. My motives are to satisfy my general curiosity and to get hints as to a course of reading I might adopt as an autodidact. It seems clear to me that I (as an amateur thinker) am simpatico with the CasP project, hence its intellectual genesis or descent is of considerable interest to me.
Ikonoclast

Return to Political Economy