Rejecting Nobel Discoveries

Post your research in political economy, share ideas and workshop your empirical work.

Moderator: sanha926

Rejecting Nobel Discoveries

Postby blairfix » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:59 pm

I just ran across a fascinating paper by Juan Miguel Campanario that looks at Nobel prize-winning discoveries that were initially rejected or resisted by peers:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11192-008-2141-5

I found the following quote quite revealing:

Scientists questioning a widely accepted paradigm can find it difficult to gain a hearing: questions about fundamentals are rarely welcomed. The instances studied here illustrate that scientists with something truly original to communicate often have to fight against the silence, the lack of interest, and as a result the absence of citations and recognition. Silence and lack of attention is even worse than negative reactions because negative reactions, at least, attract the attention of others who, in turn, might find the new paradigm convincing. Delayed recognition is not rare for very important discoveries: peers tend to be slow in recognizing their impact.

This makes me feel a little better about my work that is usually met with blistering silence!
blairfix

Re: Rejecting Nobel Discoveries

Postby Jonathan Nitzan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:35 pm

Jonathan Nitzan

Return to Research