CasP Dialogue 2015.01: Baines' work on food price inflation

Post your research in political economy, share ideas and workshop your empirical work.

Moderator: sanha926

Re: CasP Dialogue 2015.01: Baines' work on food price inflat

Postby jmc » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:25 pm

This is our first attempt at a CasP dialogue, and I was wondering if we could pause and reflect on the dialogue above. There is no official structure to this, so the shape it will take depends on our expectations and our collaborative efforts. What are we doing well? What can we improve on for the rest of Dialogue #1 or dialogues in the future?

Content-wise, there is a lot here--and certainly more contributions are welcome. But is there a thread of analysis that can grouped by theme or something more conceptual? So far, I think there is something that could mix a lot of our going research with Joseph and Shai's interests: our choices about how we group firms by sector/type of industry/size/etc.. Is it misleading to follow one's intuition and group firms by type of industrial activity? Is this type of grouping more useful in some sectors?
jmc

Re: CasP Dialogue 2015.01: Baines' work on food price inflat

Postby shai » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:19 pm

Indeed, the posts so far truly raise plenty intriguing questions on various topics, some closer to the subjects of Joseph's paper, some more general. James's suggestion of forming issue-based threads seems natural and perhaps inevitable. I would like to venture and suggest an intermediary step that may assist in enlivening and focusing the possible thread discussions.

For the participants that may be interested, I suggest the following:

1. Designate a short time period, say two weeks, in which each participant will commit to making at least 2 (3? 4? 10?) short one-on-one skype calls with other participants in the dialogue (which may even be determined randomly). Use those to get to know one another a bit, and to try to search a topic (closely, loosely (or even unrelated?) to the posts so far) of joint interest.

2. After this 'acquaintance round' is over, suggest topics of joint interest for threads. Perhaps we may also set a deadline in which the participants in a thread will post a summary of the discussion, aiming towards a publishable result, or at least one that is presentable in the CasP blog.

Of course, such a plan may seem anything to everything from artificial to awkward. To its defense, I can say that I've seen something similar work surprisingly well. I have the time now to take care of any necessary coordination tasks that may be required.
shai

Previous

Return to Research