The reference to Itzhak Bentov in Capital as Power

Post your research in political economy, share ideas and workshop your empirical work.

Moderator: sanha926

The reference to Itzhak Bentov in Capital as Power

Postby YGodler » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:14 pm

On page 224 of Capital as Power, Footnote 2, Itzhak Bentov's Stalking the Wild Pendulum is cited and praised as a "...most highly imaginative" extension of the "hologramic model into understanding both consciousness and cosmos". Should this be read as an endorsement of Bentov's apparently quirky metaphysics (which includes things like reincarnation and out of body phenomena)?

Ps. I regard Capital as Power as possibly the most insightful social scientific text I have ever had the privilege of reading. But I'm kind of bothered by this reference.
YGodler

Re: The reference to Itzhak Bentov in Capital as Power

Postby Jonathan Nitzan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:35 pm

We are not professional meta-physicists, so we are in no position to "endorse" anyone, including Bentov. However, we do find Bentov's hologramic attempt to fuse consciousness and physics inspiring and fruitful, certainly at the metaphorical level. In this regard, it is worth noting that, during the 1960s and 1970s, there were many physicists who searched for "spiritual" interpretations that would be both orthogonal to yet consistent with their equations.

P.S.: From a hologramic perspective, any given "body" is merely one of many delineations within a totality, so out-of-body phenomena become trivial. The Alain Aspect entanglement experiments from the early 1980s seem to suggest that much of our universe consists of out-of-body phenomena.
Jonathan Nitzan

Re: The reference to Itzhak Bentov in Capital as Power

Postby YGodler » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:55 am

Thanks. But I'm not sure one needs to be a professional meta-physicist in order to take a position on the question of existence/non-existence of reincarnation ("a matter of fact" for Bentov, p.5) or the existence of an "astral reality" (p. 85), both of which Bentov expresses a belief in.

While it is true that there was a period when physicists sought "spiritual" interpretations, those days are long gone and, according to philosopher and physicist David Albert, are viewed with some embarrassment. Those days were seemingly long gone when Capital as Power came out. I'm also not sure Quantum Entanglement suggests the existence of the kind of out-of-body phenomena Bentov seems to be referring to (i.e. an "astral reality").Of course, arguably none of this undercuts the metaphorical value of Bentov's "hologramic attempt to fuse consciousness and physics" or disallows drawing inspiration from it, but the question is whether it contributes to the "understanding" of "both consciousness and cosmos" as you have written. Seems to me that "understanding" presupposes some degree of truth value.
YGodler

Return to Research