Research on millionaires and billionaires

Post your research in political economy, share ideas and workshop your empirical work.

Moderator: sanha926

Research on millionaires and billionaires

Postby rsalisbury » Wed May 30, 2018 8:14 am

I can't remember who it was that did their presentation on HNWIs, but it got me interested in it and I did some research on HNWIs and billionaires for my most recent podcast episode. It's nothing major, mostly doing calculations on data pulled from the World Wealth Report and the Wealth-X Billionaire Census, but there's some very interesting figures:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1533461741

Most interesting to me are the millionaire and billionaire rates, calculated as the number of millionaires per hundred thousand people and number of billionaires per million people. The differences in billionaire rates are even more stark when looking at them differentially (I used the ratio of billionaires per million for the country to billionaires per million for the world). I also created an "inequality score" based on the differential millionaire/billionaire rate and differential GDP per capita (could probably be improved with median HH income or something).

The most surprising country to me is Hong Kong, which has over 31x the global billionaire rate, and billionaire wealth is 70% of GDP (again, this calculation could benefit from something other than GDP, but I'm not sure what would be better in this case).

I also looked at the billionaire population by race, using billionaire rate by continent as an approximation. Doing a quick search just now, it seems like even the incredibly low number of 44 black billionaires from my approximation may be a drastic overestimate.
rsalisbury

Re: Research on millionaires and billionaires

Postby blairfix » Wed May 30, 2018 11:39 am

This is really interesting analysis. I didn't know this data existed!
blairfix

Re: Research on millionaires and billionaires

Postby rsalisbury » Wed May 30, 2018 5:24 pm

The Billionaire Census is much more interesting than the World Wealth Report, unless you're in the wealth management industry. I wasn't able to find more data than what they present in the report, but I'm sure even if I did I would have to pay for it.
rsalisbury

Return to Research